As proud members of the (AESC) Association of Executive Search and Leadership Consultants, we have adopted the AESC’s Client Bill of Rights as our own. For more information, please contact: www.aesc.org
Introducing new leaders can have a significant impact on market perception, consumer confidence, and employee engagement. Choosing the right executive search firm is a critical business decision with long-term impact. What are your rights and obligations as a client?
For more than 50 years, the Association of Executive Search and Leadership Consultants (AESC) has set the standards for the profession. AESC members are ethical, experienced, and committed to excellence. You can expect the following when working with TRANSEARCH as an AESC member.
1. We provide our clients with an accurate and candid assessment of their capabilities to perform your search
That assessment includes a firm’s internal resources, knowledge of the function and industry in which the search will be conducted, and an understanding of the client’s cultural or regulatory environment.
2. We are forthcoming about the client team
Clients should be sure to meet with the individual consultant and the team who will handle the search assignment.
3. We develop a thorough understanding of the organization and its hiring objectives
Effective, successful searches require the consultant to possess a deep understanding of a client’s unique executive talent needs, organizational culture, customer strategy, and regulatory challenges.
4. We provide a high-level consultative relationship
An executive search firm works in partnership with a client to help define the assignment, identify candidates, assess using a sophisticated methodology, and select those best suited through comprehensive, quality-assured search processes.
5. We hold client information in strict confidence
The executive search process requires that clients divulge highly sensitive information. The ethical search consultant treats any and all information with the utmost confidentiality while still providing necessary information to candidates.
TRANSEARCH strictly adheres to the AESC Code of Professional Practice and Standards of Excellence and has committed to protecting client and candidate confidentiality, thereby preserving our own integrity and that of the profession.
6. We provide clients with regular, detailed status reports on the progress of the search
Depending on the position to be filled, the availability of talent, and a host of other factors, a successful search can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months.
7. We present qualified candidates who fit the position and the culture of the client organization
Executive search consultants present a range of qualified candidates, and for each candidate, the effective firm presents:
- Experience and achievements relative to the position to be filled
- Education and background
- Intellectual, interpersonal and motivation competencies
- Personal strengths and weaknesses with respect to the position to be filled
- Perceived cultural fit Interest in the position and remuneration and financial expectations
- One aspect of the search consultant’s partnership with clients is assisting with their internal review of candidates, including interviewing techniques that avoid unconscious gender bias.
8. We are invested in the entire process and help the client negotiate with the final candidate
Once a client has selected a final candidate, the executive search consultant’s role evolves from that of a search agent to a negotiator and communicator.
We recognize that our behavior reflects directly on the client and can influence a candidate’s likelihood of accepting the client’s offer.
9. We provide the clients with a clear understanding of any replacement policies and other unusual situations that may arise during and after the search
Our executive search consultants explain the firm’s policy regarding possible outcomes in writing.
10. We commit to follow-through
As trusted advisors, our responsibility does not end when the candidate accepts an offer. As your committed partner:
- Assists with onboarding and integration
- Contributes to a smooth transition for candidates
- Remains in communication with the new hire for a period of time for support
- Determines with the client that a search is indeed concluded
How can clients maximize the value of the relationship?
Because executive search is a specialized form of management consulting, retaining an executive search firm for an exclusive assignment is a strategic decision. To maximize the benefit of that relationship, clients:
- Select an executive search partner with tremendous care and diligence
- Set clear expectations and establish an understanding of the agreement with special attention to conflicts, restrictions, and other provisions
- Provide complete and accurate information on the position and the organization
- Proactively address concerns during the course of the assignment
- Communicate fully, clearly, and openly
The competition for top executive talent is intense, and the stakes have never been higher. Trust and integrity are at the core of a successful relationship and a successful search. Clients are wise to choose gold-standard firms at the top of the profession. They should partner only with firms committed to professional excellence in executive search and leadership consulting: members of AESC.